Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend is not the time to get fancy with your email subject lines. Forget coy, cutesy, and subtle. They need to be catchy yet dramatic. Think the written equivalent of blinking lights and balloons.
Why? You ask.
Around Black Friday, the fight for attention in the inbox is as ruthless as the Hunger Games.
Your Black Friday subject line has to work overtime to get your customers’ attention because every other ecommerce site and retailer in the world is working their hardest to get consumer eyeballs on their deals too.
And all of that in the space of just a few days.
No worries, though. From a secret subject line sauce to 40 subject line ideas, we’ve got you covered. This blog post will give you all the weapons you need to arm your holiday sale emails for victory in the most combative of battles: the Black Friday weekend inbox.
Use this secret sauce for Black Friday email subject lines
Your subject lines have only one job to do.
Get your subscribers to open your fabulous Black Friday emails, which will then encourage them to click and convert.
The secret to email subject lines for Thanksgiving weekend?
Directness + urgency = OPENS
These two ingredients when combined make the perfect sauce for catapulting your subject line to success.
Now, directness and urgency are, at other times of the year or for other types of campaigns, not always the best recipe for subject lines.
Sometimes direct and urgent subject lines may feel too ham-fisted or boring even. Some campaigns call for intriguing subject lines that utilize the curiosity gap or tell a joke and leave the reader hanging for the punchline.
When it comes to Black Friday newsletters, the battle of the inbox is vicious. Just look at the one below.
This holiday sales period has different rules because of the sheer amount of money changing hands in such a short space of time. With so many post-Thanksgiving campaigns in the space of just five days – Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, and Giving Tuesday – consumers are overwhelmed with ways to spend their money.
And spending their money is something consumers truly want to do. In 2022, U.S. consumers spent a record $9.12 billion of their hard-earned cash on the web on Black Friday.
But all your competitors know this too. Your customers are being positively pummeled by promotions in their inboxes.
There’s no time to be subtle.
A winning combination for your subject lines this Black Friday Cyber Monday weekend
- Directness: Tell subscribers exactly what you have for them. What percentage is your discount? Are you offering free shipping? Which specific brands are going on sale?
Your offer itself has to do the heavy lifting in attracting their attention.
Consumers are going to be scanning hundreds of sales, meaning your deal has to be good enough to convince them to open your campaign.
- Urgency: The Black Friday weekend itself creates urgency.
That’s why it’s such an effective time of year for retail and ecommerce. Consumers are expecting rock-bottom deals that only run for a limited time during this kickoff to the holiday season.
This may seem like an obvious point, but you have to signal to your subscribers that your email campaign relates to Black Friday or whichever post-Thanksgiving sale you’re taking part in.
In other words, remember that using a catchy phrase including “Black Friday” or “Cyber Monday sale” as your subject line will increase your open rate.
Boost your Black Friday/Cyber Monday open rates with these words
Be direct with your subject line by conveying the most important information about what you’re offering your customers.
Use enticing words like the ones below, proven to boost opens on Black Friday weekend:
- X% off
- Free shipping
Note, however, that if you’re offering a discount, it’s worth putting the markdown percentage in the subject line only if it’s 50% or higher.
Anything less won’t move subscribers at this time of year. (Unless they love your brand truly, madly, deeply. But if that’s the case, then they’ll open just about anything you send them, including “You Jane. Me Email.”)
Then add a phrase that creates a sense of urgency:
- Black Friday
- Cyber Monday
- Small Business Saturday
- Giving Tuesday
- Only X hours left
- For the next X hours only
- X more hours until …
- Won’t last
Signal your sale with a Black Friday emoji
Email emojis are also a good, subtle way to signal Black Friday sales in your subject lines. Anything colored black can indicate to subscribers the Black Friday context of your email.
Steal these email subject lines for Black Friday and Cyber Monday
To put it all together, here are 40 subject lines, paired with the occasional preheader text, to help you create your own taglines for your brand’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
Note: One email promoting your sale is never enough! You can kickstart your campaign with a series of pre-Black Friday teaser emails, as well as reminders during your sale.
Here are some phases to consider:
- T-7 days: Announce your deals/offer sneak peeks
- T-48 hours: Remind your subscribers of your deals
- T-24 hours: Open your deals early for VIPs
- Going live: Call your subscribers to action
- Halfway point: Remind your subscribers that time is running out
Bonus tip: Use a countdown timer in your email design to add to the urgency created by your subject line
40 subject lines for every type of holiday sale campaign
Whether you’re building suspense for the launch of your Black Friday sale, or sending Cyber Monday emails, we’ve got you covered with some of the best email subject lines to inspire your own.
Related read: What’s email preheader?
Try Brevo’s AI subject line Assistant
Working on writing catchy subject lines? Brevo’s AI Assistant is your new best friend. Bring your subject lines to life with the power of AI and make campaigns that stand out in the inbox. Available in our Email editor, learn more here.
Pre-Black Friday teaser subject lines
- Just 48 hours left until your favorite? Friday?
- Preheader: Have you seen our deals on Gucci, Prada, and Chanel?
- Don’t break the bank this Black Friday
- Ready to flex your power shopping muscles this Black Friday?
- Preheader: All protein powders at ½ price
- Ready to Get Your? Holiday Shopping ? On?
- Preheader: Don’t start without looking at these Black Friday deals
- Free in-store goodies for the first 50 Black Friday shoppers!
- Preheader: Doors open at 8 a.m.
VIP sale subject lines
- Get an exclusive sneak peek at our Black Friday sales
- Preheader: Start that shopping list now!
- Can you keep a secret, Sam? VIP access to Cyber Week sales!
- Only for You, Sara: An Early Access Pass to Our Cyber Monday Sales
- Preheader: Browse sales 24 hours before everyone else!
- Psst … Cyber Monday Starts Tomorrow. Use These Secret Discount Codes!
Launching your Black Friday promotions
- Free Shipping. Check. Up to 50% Off. Check. Black Friday. Check.
- We can’t take it anymore! These Black Friday deals on electronics are too good!
- Get. In. Here. Now. The Black Friday Sale Has Arrived!
- So … we went a bit crazy with our markdowns. Black Friday deals like never before!
- 50. 70. 90% off. No, we’re not kidding
- Preheader: Grab these Black Friday deals now!
- Psst … 25 Black Friday Sales You Must See to Believe?
- Unbelievable bargains this Black Friday!
- Preheader: Seriously, you don’t want to miss these brands
- Get these Black Friday deals before they’re gone!
- Preheader: 50% off select menswear
Last chance subject lines
- Deals like these are not going to last. Black Friday ends soon
- Don’t walk. Run! 5 hours left to save big for Black Friday!
- Up to 75% off all appliances for the next 48 hours only!
- Is it too late to save for Cyber Monday? ⏳ Definitely not!
- Preheader: 50–75% off all children’s toys for the next 3 hours
- Hey, Night Owls. Cyber Monday Ends at Midnight!
Small Business Saturday email subject lines
- All current NYT bestsellers 50% off this Small Business Saturday
- Preheader: Shop local this holiday season
- Shop small, save big this Small Business Saturday
- Small Business. Big Bargains. This Saturday Only.
- Free coffee with every purchase this Small Business Saturday
- Support a local business AND save a ton this Small Business Saturday
- Don’t miss our in-store fun and games this Small Business Saturday!
Cyber Monday email subject lines to promote your sale
- Set your alarms now for our Cyber Monday sale
- Preheader: Unmissable deals for one day only
- Our extended return policy makes Cyber Monday shopping stress free!
- Preheader: Return all purchases for up to 60 days. No questions asked
- Skip to the front of the line! Free shipping on Cyber Monday deals
- Achieve shopping zen with these Cyber Monday online discounts
- Cyber Monday Sales Start in 3 … 2 … 1
- These Cyber Monday travel deals are supersonic!
- Preheader: Book your holiday getaway now before they’re gone
- These Cyber Week bargains might not last until Friday
- Preheader: Browse deeply discounted shoes and jackets!
Giving Tuesday email subject lines
- Consumption driving you crazy? Donate to a good cause this Giving Tuesday
- Solve holiday list anxiety by giving the gift of giving this year
- Preheader: Donate for Christmas in the name of a loved one on Giving Tuesday
- How about giving instead of getting?
- Preheader: Donate today for Giving Tuesday
- Our secret sponsor will match all donations this Giving Tuesday
- Preheader: For the next 24 hours only!
- Enter to win free prizes when you donate on Giving Tuesday
Stand out in the inbox with your Black Friday email subject lines
Now you know what ingredients go into the secret sauce that will have you tasting Black Friday marketing perfection, along with 40 fully prepared Black Friday subject lines to inspire you. Go forth and find victory in the furious battle of the inbox.
And if you’re looking for an easy-to-use yet powerful platform to send your holiday sale emails this year, be sure to check out Brevo’s Marketing Platform plans or get started for free.
Like these holiday marketing tips? Download our free 2024 holiday marketing calendar for more ideas and important dates.